Friday morning we left for Grapeseed's first long road trip. We headed up to Winston-Salem NC for Tio Isaac's college graduation. It usually takes almost 9 hours and I'm happy to report that with a 7 month old we made it in 10 hours, pretty good time I'd say! I sat in the back with her to help entertain. We stayed at our usual hotel, The Brookstown Inn, which we really like (of course this was GS first time there). Isaac graduated from North Carolina School of the Arts. I must say that this was the most entertaining graduation I have ever been too. For starters, the grads did not wear cap and gowns. Isaac said that in years past a lot of the grads would dress in costumes. One girl was dressed in a Superwoman style outfit, a few didn't wear shoes, and to be different, 3 wore caps and gowns. The Chancellor was funny as he addressed the grads and audience. The graduation address was given by....drum roll...Kristyn Chenoweth (Glinda in the original Wicked, Pushing Up Daisies, Four Christmas, etc)

Kristyn Chenoweth was bestowed an honorary Doctorate degree by the university. Her speech was extremely funny and encouraging. When it was time for the grads to be called and the Chancellor asked for the diplomas, he walked to the edge of the stage and began sprinkling sparkling confetti. Smoke filled the stage as a wizard with the table of diplomas rose up. I haven't seen Harry Potter, but I believe it was a take on that. Of course I remembered to film a little late:
We are very proud of Isaac. He is in DC right now working on a play being produced by one of his fellow graduates, Dan Marino, Jr ["The" Dan Marino's son ; ) we looked for him at graduation, but never saw him, the father, we saw the son]. Grapeseed enjoyed her trip. I think she may have "jet lag" because she has been very tired since we got home ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment