Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Smokey Mountains

Friday (July 17th) night we returned from a week in Tennessee. This was Grapeseed's second plane trip. After we landed Friday the man across the isle commented on what a good baby she is! We had a great time staying in Sevierville, TN. I have been vacationing in this area with my family for over 22 years, Steve and I have been twice together, but this was Grapeseed, Abuelita, Grandpa, and Tia's first time.

We flew from Sanford on Allegiant Air on Friday, July 10th. On the flight they sold raffle tickets and raffled Orlando souvenirs and a cash prize, never been on a flight like this!

The flight was short and we arrived in TN around 7:30 pm. Instead of renting two rental cars we decided to get a fan, the cheapest van they had was a 12 passenger van! Actually it was cheaper than the economy car! I called it Big Red.

Saturday:
Our first day we took it easy, trying to let Grapeseed rest and nap, which we learned she doesn't want to waste vacation time sleeping! After grocery shopping we hung out at the condo and pool.



Sunday:
Gatlinburg was our destination on this day. (In this area of TN it is very tourist-y, 3 towns are connected, Sevierville to Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg). It was suppose to be rainy (never did) so, we thought it would be a good day for the aquarium. Ripley's Aquarium (Ripley's has a few attractions in the area) is a GREAT aquarium and I want to take Grapeseed back when she is older.


After the aquarium we did a little walking around Gatlinburg and had our family picture taken ; )


On our way back to the condo we stopped at a Christmas store. Tia bought Grapeseed a bear (can't go to the Smokey Mountains and not get a bear) and Grandpa bought her stickers with her name on them (her real name, not Grapeseed ; ) Of course we took pictures, we're tourist!


Monday & Grapeseed 37 Weeks Old:

Monday we went through Townsend to Cades Cove. Cades Cove is an 11 mile scenic loop. This is my Daddy's (Papa John) favorite place. Whenever we are in the mountains with him we visit Cades Cove a few times at dusk to see the deer come down the mountain.

Now, like I said, I have been vacationing in this area for over 22 years and for 22 years I have had my picture taken on a certain rock in Cades Cove. My family refers to it as "The Rock." It is located at a valley lookout area and our first time there we just happened to take our picture there and over the years it became a tradition. Steve and I started taking our picture on "The Rock" while we were in college and I couldn't wait to have Grapeseed's picture taken on "The Rock." It was a little teary for me!

Grapeseed 37 Weeks Old-





We saw a few doe, 2 bucks, and a baby bear. We also stopped at the Grist Mill and old homesteads along the loop.


Tuesday:
We crossed the mountain to Cherokee, NC. We drove through the Smokey Mountains National Park.


Along the way we stopped at Newfound Gap, the TN/NC state line, which is also where the Appalachian Trail crosses the road.


We saw a bear cub playing in bushes along the road. Right before we got into Cherokee there were 2 elk on the side of the road!


After lunch we visited a Cherokee Indian Village and Garden, it was like a living musuem.



Leaving Cherokee we saw an even bigger elk!


Wednesday:
Laurel Falls is a 1.3 mile(2.6 round trip) hike to a water fall. Grapeseed was excited at the beginning of the hike, but a few minutes before we made it to the falls, she fell asleep and slept the almost 30 minutes we were at the falls.


Wednesday night everyone except Grapeseed and I went back to Cades Cove. They saw a lot of deer and a couple bears.

Thursday:
We spent our last full day relaxing at the condo. I was able to read two books on this vacation! Grapeseed enjoyed some more pool time.



Friday:
Our last day! After checking out of the condo we visited Forbidden Caverns. Again, Grapeseed was excited in the beginning, but she grew very tired and cried VERY loudly (or maybe the noise was bouncing off the narrow cavern walls ; ). By the end of the tour, she was alseep. Inside the caverns it was 58 degrees!



We had a picnic, drove the almost one hour to the airport and still had some time before our flight. So, Grapeseed had time for a good book ; ) (we went to Barns & Nobles).


We had a great time! Grapeseed added another spoon to her state spoon collection.
Our angel!

3 comments:

Amber said...

what a great trip made me homesick I cant wait to take MJ :)

Regina said...

Wow! I love all the pictures!! Sounds like you all had a GREAT time :o)

Lopez Family said...

I loved all of the pictures! I'm glad you guys had such a great time.