Monday, January 12, 2009

A Scratch On A New Car

Everything went fine with Grape Seed's shots, so we thought we would head to my parents' house Friday night (My nephew's 2nd birthday party was Saturday). After the car was packed I feed Grape Seed and she was very warm...slight fever. We cancelled the trip and called the doctor and was told to keep an eye on her temperature. About an hour goes by, the fever is up to 100.4 and the doctor on call says to bring her in to the ER (the doctor's office is closed at this point b/c it is after 6pm and for a baby less than 3 months old 100.4 is when they have to be seen). So, off to Arnold Palmer.


Grape Seed was checked over, hears, throat, lungs, breathing, all fine. The Doctor (Doogie, I think he was 12 ;) said that she was just over the age that required an automatic overnight observation (Yeah!) and he didn't think we needed a spinal tap (more good news!), but he wanted to do a urine cultural. Now, she can't pee in a cup yet, so...the nurses had to insert a catheter : ( Don't worry, Grape Seed paid the nurses back with a little BM ; ) As we waited for the results, I told Grape Seed she may be an only child. Pregnancy-loved it; 36 hours of labor ending in a c-sections-do it again tomorrow; waking up every 3 hours for feedings-no problem; looking into her sad eyes and not being able to help her-can't handle!!!!


The results were positive for an UTI :( Now the guilt...is this my fault? Did I not change her enough? Did I wipe her wrong? My poor little girl.

We started antibiotics and she felt better over the weekend. Today we had a follow up visit with our pediatrician. He said over and over, "You did the right thing by bringing her in." As a mother, I'm never worried about being too cautious, just the opposite. But, it was still nice to hear. So, we are to finish the antibiotics, be re-checked and then go for a sonogram of her kidneys just to be on the safe side that there is no reflux. See! She is going to be an only child again ; ) Our pediatrician (the one w/the diary farm story) said of our first trip to the ER, "It's kind of like getting that first scratch on a new car."

1 comment:

Robyn THE Mama Lion said...

Oh poor baby and mommy!!! Mommy guilt is the worst!! I felt the same way about LL's ear infection.