Monday, November 17, 2008

Life on the dairy farm...

We spent our Sunday morning at the Doctor's office...Friday afternoon Grape Seed's eye started running. I called the doctor and they said it was most likely a clogged tear duct, but if it wasn't better by Saturday morning to bring her in. Saturday morning it "seemed" a little better, so we didn't take her in.

During a mid-night changing Friday night/Saturday morning her belly button came off (really it was the umbilical cord). Of course this is exciting b/c it is one less thing to worry about, or so I thought! Saturday night Grape Seed's belly button started bleeding a little, worry time again! ;) She kept us up all night making weird noises like she was congested. By about 4 am Steve and I had decided it was time to go to the doctor. Between the eye getting worse, the congestion sounds, the belly button, and I haven't mentioned the diaper rash...someone who was medically trained needed to take a look at our pretty princess.

The doctor's office opened Sunday morning at 8am (yes, that's right, our pediatrician is open 365 days a year!)and we were there by 9am. First thing they did was weigh Grape Seed. Now, we just had the two week check up on Tuesday, so I'm not expecting her weight to be that different until the scale said 7lbs 7oz!!! My first questions was: "Is your scale right?" I can't believe that she has gained 13 oz in 5 days! When the doctor came into the room he assured me that her weight gain was normal and then he told me a little story..."On dairy farms, cows that don't produce good milk are sent to be butchered, you would still be on the farm." All I can say is Mooo! ; )

The doctor said to stop using wipes (to help the diaper rash), to keep cleaning the belly button with alchol, Grape Seed is not congested, and wrote a prescription for eye drops for her eye. That was the best $15 co-pay we have ever spent! $15 for peace of mind, priceless! So, today we have ate, slept, fussed, changed diapers w/out wipes, gave eye drops...that's our life on the dairy farm! Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it looks and sounds like you are adjusting well. I remember the first few months when Biskit was born, every little thing seemed like a giant thing.

She is precious and I can't wait to see her.

Love,
Aunt Cathy